The Experiment

Usually, I try and prepare myself to the extreme before I meet up with a client. I will read up on who they are, do research on their competition, I try to figure out in what type of world they operate. I cover my bases with possible questions they might ask me and drown myself with solutions for anticipated issues they might have. I will go into the meeting, feeling confident that they will be impressed by how much research I’ve done to get to understand their business. Things usually go well, and work gets underway. Then I realise that I actually don’t know what to do for them or how to really solve their problem as I’ve projected and lead the questions to answers that fit my research and my story. Not theirs. And this was not obvious to me for a very long time. I know, hindsight wears the cleanest glasses.

“It is easy to be wise after the event.”
Arthur Conan Doyle

So I did an experiment and went to a client meeting with nothing. I didn’t do my research. I didn’t look up anything. I didn’t create an expectation of the outcome of the meeting. I haven’t formed any opinions in my head or prepare questions or think about solutions or even gave it a second thought. This is risky as it might appear that I don’t care. It is against everything Chris Do and Michael Janda preach.

So what happened? I was very nervous but after a few informalities, we dove into the business at hand. The client started explaining what they do, where they are at, what they are aiming for. All of it was news to my ears. It was fresh, straight from the client’s perception. Their view. Their pain points. Their obstacles. I could listen deeply. Like really, really hear what they are trying to communicate.

At one point the client asked me what I’ve prepared to show her. For a moment the bottom fell out and dread clawed it’s way up my spine.

I said in all honesty, 
“Nothing” 

There was an awkward silence and I quickly filled in, “Nothing, so that I don’t come to you with preconceived ideas as to what needs to be done. Then I don’t listen to your needs and only fill in my own blanks.”

More silence. Then a big smile. “I like it.” We went straight to what is expected and a roll-out of the next steps. It was a successful meeting. I’m sure that this will not work with every client. Maybe I was just lucky. But what I do know is that we need to listen more and assume less.

Comments

Popular Posts